According to Rudaw
By Rudaw yesterday at 08:25
ERBIL, Kurdistan Region– Iraq’s ministry of defense announced Sunday it had received four new F16 aircrafts from the US as part of its nearly $2 billion purchase of 36 such warplanes.
The US has so far delivered 10 F16 aircrafts in three phases since 2014.
Iraqi officials have said the single engine, all-weather military aircrafts will enhance the airforce’s capability to target ISIS inside Mosul when the looming operation sets off.
“The new aircrafts will have a substantial impact on the advancing ground troops especially when the Mosul offensive starts,” said Nasir Nouri a spokesperson from the ministry on Sunday.
The US temporarily postponed the delivery of the planes in 2014 after ISIS takeover of army installations in Nineveh province. The planes were instead sent to an Arizona air base where Iraqi pilots were being trained to fly the advanced aircraft.
A total of 26 pilots are expected to be trained, and 16 have been in training so far. US Air Force officials have said the Iraqis are being trained by the Air National Guard Unit at Tucson International Airport.
“The Iraqis have put those to good use,” Colonel Steve Warren, a spokesman for the U.S.-led military campaign against Islamic State told Reuters in February. “We look forward to this additional capability along with the additional trained pilots.”
Original post @rudaw.net
US State Department OKs $2B in F-16 Weapons Sales to Iraq
“The US State Department has approved nearly $2 billion in sales of more than 33,000 F-16 Block-52 weapons and munitions to Iraq.
The possible Foreign Military Sale to Iraq for the Major Defense Equipment weapons, munitions, equipment and logistics support is estimated at $1.95 billion and the Pentagon’s Defense Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA) has delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale on Jan. 15.”
“Iraq previously purchased 36 F-16 aircraft. Iraq requires these additional weapons, munitions and technical services to maintain the operational capabilities of its aircraft. This proposed sale enables Iraq to fully maintain and employ its aircraft and sustain pilot training to effectively protect Iraq from current and future threats”.
“The Major Defense Equipment (MDE) in the pending deal includes:
- 20 Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System (JHMCS).
- 24 each AIM-9M Sidewinder missile.
- 150 AGM-65D/G/H/K Maverick missile.
- 14,120 500-pound General Purpose (GP) bomb body/warhead for use either as unguided or guided bombs. Depending on asset availability during case execution, total quantity of the 500-pound warheads will comprise a mix of MK-82 500-pound warheads and/or BLU-111 500-pound warheads from stock and/or new contract procurement.
- 2,400 2,000-pound GP bomb body/warheads for use either as unguided or guided bombs. Depending on asset availability during case execution, total quantity of the 2,000-pound warheads will comprise a mix of MK-84 2,000-pound warheads and/or BLU-117 2,000-pound warheads from stock and/or new contract procurement.
- 8,000 Laser-Guided Bomb (LGB) Paveway II tail kits. Will be combined with 500-pound warheads in the above entry for MK-82 and/or BLU-111 to build GBU-12 guided bombs.
- 250 each LGB Paveway II tail kits. Will be combined with 2,000-pound warheads in the above entry for MK-82 and/or BLU-117 to build GBU-10 guided bombs.
- 150 LGB Paveway III tail kits. Will be combined with 2,000-pound warheads in the above entry for MK-82 and/or BLU-117 to build GBU-24 guided bombs.
- 8,500 FMU-152 fuses. Will be used in conjunction with the LGB tail kits and warheads in the above entries to build GBU All Up Rounds (AUR). Includes provisioning for spare FMU-152 fuze units (MDE).
- 4 WGU-43CD2/B Guidance Control Units.
- 1 M61 Vulcan Rotary 20mm cannon.
- 6 MK-82 inert bomb.
- 4 MK-84 inert bomb.”
Posted on January 21, 2016 @defensenews.com
Read entire article: Here
F-16 Blk 50/52: Details