New weapons for Thai AS550 C3e helicopters – ASEAN Military Defense Review
BANGKOK, — These weapons will provide greater firepower for the RTA’s eight Fennec helicopters that are used mainly for armed reconnaissance missions, as well as forward air control, close air support, cavalry convoy escort, suppressive fire missions and to support drug suppression units in peacetime.
These AS550 C3e helicopters are now in the service with the 1st Airmobile Company, RTA Aviation Centre.
Forges de Zeebrugge (FZ) makes the FZ220, a seven-tube, 70mm, lightweight rocket launcher that weighs only 20kg. The FZ220 can fire FZ’s proprietary FFAR and WA rockets.
The HMP400 gun pods, meanwhile, mount a 12.7mm FN M3P machine gun especially designed by the company for airborne applications. It offers accurate suppressive and defensive fire against troops at ranges of up to 3,000m, and suppressive fire against light armoured vehicles out to 1,000m.
The RTA will need more Fennec helicopters in the future to replace ageing UH-1 gunships of the 2nd Airmobile Company.
HMP400 gun pod with 12.7mm FN M3P machine gun Forges de Zeebrugge (FZ) makes the FZ220, a seven-tube, 70mm
See details of RTA AS550 C3e: HERE
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)