Asian Defence News
Tuesday, April 12, 2016
See related post:
See details of MD530G: HERE
Tuesday, April 12, 2016
12 April 2016
By Peter Spinella
scow (dpa) – A Russian Mi-28N attack helicopter crashed in Syria in the early hours of Tuesday, killing its two pilots, Russian state media reported.
The helicopter, flying a mission in the central province of Homs, was apparently not shot down, Russia’s Defence Ministry said in comments carried by state news agency TASS.
The military is trying to discern the cause of the crash, and the two bodies were recovered and brought to a Russian airbase on the Syrian coast, a Defence Ministry spokesman told TASS.
The Interfax news agency cited an undisclosed source in the military as saying that the pilots were wearing night-vision goggles and flying in complete darkness over little-known terrain.
“There could have been some kind of obstacle on the flight path that the helicopter crashed into,” the source was quoted as saying.
The crash occurred at 1:29 local time (23:29 GMT) close to the city of Homs, the TASS news agency reported, adding that Mi-28N “Night Hunter” helicopters were being frequently used to secure the nearby city of Palmyra, in the Homs province.
Russian President Vladimir Putin’s spokesman told reporters that the cause of the crash was most likely a “technical malfunction,” TASS reported.
Russia has been a key ally to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and launched an airstrike campaign in his support in late September 2015.
New Delhi: US Defence Secretary Ashton Carter is in New Delhi and said today that progress has been made towards sealing a deal that could see American soldiers on Indian bases under specific circumstances.
India must not forget who saved them in the 70s “1971 India Pakistan War: Role of Russia, China, America and Britain – The World Reporter”
Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:00pm EDT
Pratt & Whitney, a unit of United Technologies Corp, has won an additional $1.04 billion contract for F-35 fighter jet engines, bringing the total value of its work on a ninth batch of the engines to $1.4 billion, the Pentagon said on Monday.
The contract announced on Monday finalizes part of an agreement in principle that Pratt reached with the U.S. Defense Department in January for more than $3.0 billion in two separate contracts – a ninth batch of 66 F135 engines and a 10th batch of 101 engines.
The $1.04 billion contract comes on top of $360 million in funding that had already been awarded to Pratt to sustain the F135 engine production line.
Pratt said the deal would further reduce the cost of the engines it builds for the Lockheed Martin Corp fighter jets, with further cost reductions to be included in the contract for the 10th batch of jets.
The company said the contract includes 53 conventional takeoff and landing (CTOL) engines and 13 short takeoff and vertical landing (STOVL) propulsion systems for the U.S. Air Force, Navy and Marine Corps, and five other countries – Italy, Norway, Israel, Japan and Britain.
Mark Buongiorno, vice president of Pratt’s F135 engine program, said the F135 engine’s reliability rate was already over 90 percent, well ahead of a key 2020 requirement.
“We remain laser-focused on reducing costs, meeting our delivery schedule commitments, ensuring dependable engine performance, and preparing for global sustainment of the F-35 fleet,” he said in a statement.
To date, Pratt & Whitney has delivered 273 production engines for the advanced new stealth fighter.
Production of the engines in the ninth batch is already underway, with the first engines due to begin in the second quarter.
(Reporting by Eric Walsh and Andrea Shalal; Editing by Eric Beech and Diane Craft)
Original post reuters.com
Both the conventional and carrier engines are largely similar and produce almost identical results, with a maximum wet thrust of 43,000lbf and a dry thrust of 28,000lbf.
The F135 is a two-shaft engine featuring a three-stage fan and six-stage high pressure compressor. The hot section comprises an annular combustor with a single-stage high pressure turbine unit and a two-stage low pressure turbine. The engine’s afterburner also features a variable converging-diverging nozzle.
Three engine variants have been designed; the F135-PW-100 and F135-PW-400 for use aboard the conventional and carrier versions of the aircraft respectively, and the F135-PW-600 for the STOVL variation. Both the conventional and carrier engines are largely similar and produce almost identical results, with a maximum wet thrust of 43,000lbf and a dry thrust of 28,000lbf. The major difference is the use of salt-corrosion resistant materials in the carrier variant.
The STOVL engine, however, is capable of producing different results courtesy of its design and the demands placed upon it. Source airforce-technology.com
Data from F135engine.com
Data from F135engine.com
Apr 12, 2016 00:46 UTC by Defense Industry Daily staff
Last Friday saw SpaceX successfully land a first-stage Falcon 9 rocket on a barge in the Atlantic Ocean. This is the second time SpaceX has successfully landed a rocket back on earth after putting a payload in space, but the first such landing on an ocean-going barge. An earlier attempt at a similar landing failed last December when the first stage rocket tipped over and exploded. Friday’s flight saw the Falcon 9 deliver cargo to the International Space Station.
Monday, April 11, 2016
The Su-30 is a twin-engine, two-seat super-maneuverable fighter aircraft developed by Russia’s Sukhoi Aviation Corporation. It is a multirole fighter for all-weather, air-to-air and air-to-surface deep interdiction missions. Tehran and Moscow started talks on the supply of the Russian-made Sukhoi-30 fighter jets to Iran on March 26.
The talks were held on the sidelines of the MAKS 2015 air show in the town of Zhukovsky near Moscow, which was attended by Russian President Vladimir Putin and Iranian Vice President for Science and Technology Sorena Sattari.
“Today, we visited different sections of the exhibition and the fighter jets’ air show for three and a half hours accompanied by Mr. Putin, which was a rare opportunity,” Sattari told FNA at the time.
Asked if the issue of purchasing Russia’s Sukhoi jets was raised during the visit, Sattari said, “We spoke about it but we didn’t discuss purchasing them and talks were mostly focused on the technological issues.”
Other Iranian officials have also talked about the deal, but have not revealed more details.
After media reports revealed serious talks between Tehran and Moscow on the purchase of fighter jets, US Department of State Undersecretary for Political Affairs Thomas Shannon said last Tuesday that Washington would use its veto power in the United Nations Security Council to block the possible sales of the aircraft to Iran.
“The sale of Su-30 fighter aircraft is prohibited under UNSC Resolution 2231 without the approval of the Security Council and we would block the approval of any sale of fighter aircraft under the restrictions,” Shannon said, referring to a resolution adopted to endorse the July 2015 Iran nuclear deal.
But Mikhail Oliyanov, the head of Russian Foreign Ministry’s Administration for Security and Disarmament, said Moscow can sell Su-30 fighters and T-90 tanks to Iran as there are no international obstacles.
“Resolution 2231 has not banned the sale of such military equipment to Iran,” he said on the same day. His remarks were echoed by Ramezanali Sobhani, the head of Iran-Russia Parliamentary Friendship Group, who underlined on Wednesday that “the purchase of Su-30 fighters and T-90 tanks are within the framework of defensive-security issues and no country, including the US, is entitled to interfere”.
Original post @financialtribune.com
Apr. 11 2016 13:28
Russia has delivered the first batch of S-300 anti-aircraft missile systems to Iran, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Jaberi Ansari said during a briefing, the Iranian news agency Mehr reported Monday.
In spite of several changes to the delivery time, “the first batch of the equipment has arrived in Iran,” Ansari announced. “The delivery of other parts will continue,” he added, Mehr reported.
An unidentified source within Russian arms export agencies confirmed that the first S-300 “were shipped to the customer,” though without specifying the number of missiles delivered, the Interfax news agency reported.
The deal is scheduled to be completed by the end of the year, the source added.
An $800 million S-300 delivery deal signed between Russia and Iran in 2007 was blocked by the Russian side in 2010 amid global sanctions against Tehran. The annulment of the deal was later described by the Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov as a “friendly gesture” toward the West.
A new contract with Iran was signed in November after the Russian self-imposed delivery ban was lifted by decree of President Vladimir Putin in April last year.